Page 100 The Other Wes Moore
After I graduated High School, I immediately went to
college right after. It was something that I didn’t really want to do but I did
it for my mother. After spending two and a half years at William Paterson I decided
that I didn’t want to do college anymore, that I would rather work and make
money. My mother was so excited about her daughter being a college student that
I really had to muster up the courage to tell her. Around this time my mother
became ill, and I was struggling with the fact that I had issues with getting
home when I needed to. I would be on campus for months at a time before I was
able to make my way back home. I didn’t really have any money at the time
either. I knew this would crush her spirits, but I had already made the
decision. I didn’t know that it would be a decision that I would later regret. Had
I stayed I would already have my degree and been working in my field. I see all
of my college friends working and excelling, not that I am not but they are
further ahead in life. It wasn’t until I came home one weekend that I decided
to just tell my mother. She was sad but she knew it was nothing she could do about
it because ultimately it was my decision to make. She explained how
disappointed she was but still I decided to not return. I remember the ride
back to campus to pick up my things, it was a quiet one. That kind of broke me
to the core because I never wanted to disappoint my mother, it’s a different
type of feeling. On the way back home, we spoke about all the missed opportunities
that I would be giving up now that I decided not to go back. Had I known that I would be paying back loans
for I degree that I didn’t receive I would have stayed. My mother really pushed
college, that was something that she really wanted for all her children. Here I
am once again enrolled at NJCU trying to better myself. This time I have no intentions
on dropping out. Once again, she is ecstatic, but I know she’s worried about me.
I wonder if she sees that I am dedicated to getting my degree this time. I have
one more chance to make things right and I intend to do so. I also want to show
my son that he can do or become anything he wants with a little hard work. I don’t
think the other Wes Moore felt the way I felt about telling my mother that I would
no longer attend William Paterson. He was more so in shock that he would become
a father. I draw this conclusion because the author didn’t say anything about
him being worried but more so him being in shock that he was going to be a dad.
I truly understand the need to make your mother proud and not disappoint her. That is my biggest thing and my blog was also about giving bad news to my mother being the hardest thing to do. Great blog, Asia!
ReplyDeleteI understand not wanting to disappoint family. I took a break from school too and my family made me feel like my choice was so dumb.
DeleteAsia,
ReplyDeleteGreat content. The emotion you put into the aftermath demonstrates how impactful this decision was, and how much it hurt. Make sure to revise for minor mistakes.