My name is Asia Hicklen, I am 33 years old and I have a 4-year-old son. He is my world and I would do anything for him. I am a psychology major at NJCU. I am in my junior year and plan to graduate next year. My passion is mental health, I don't feel like it is talked about enough and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Most people sweep it under the rug and go without treatment because they may be ashamed. Before attending NJCU I went to William Paterson in Wayne NJ. I initially went for business management but I've come to find that it wasn't for me. It took me so many years to finally become passionate about something. I wanted to own my own hair salon at first but that idea just didn't fit me. In 2019 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and I had a really rough time coming to terms with it all. I saw a lot being in the psychiatric ward and I thought maybe I can help people like myself. This is where my passion came in. Ever since that day I vowed that I wanted to be a mental healthcare worker.
I read proficiently and with purpose. My earliest memory of myself reading well was in bible study. I don't remember how old I was but I do remember they instructor saying that I read at a higher grade level than I was in. My mother always pushed me to be my best at whatever it is that I decided to do in life. She did not play around when it came to academics. I've always been a high achiever and I plan to stay that way. I love reading about anything that has to do with psychology. My biggest inspiration now is my son. I want him to know you can achieve anything you put your mind to. I enjoy reading to him at night. When we read his eyes light up so bright and it brings me a sense of peace. He is going to be just like his mother and I find comfort in that. I feel like you can learn so much from a book that you can't get from a television.

Asia,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing part of your story. I'm glad you finally found your path forward and your passion! Your son sounds amazing too. What a joy to read together!
Did you take this course before in 2022? I see some other blogs from Spring of 2022.
Best wishes,
Professor Knauer
Yes but I wanted to improve my grade so this is why I am here again. I really enjoyed this course both times.
Delete