Pop Culture

    Let's take a moment to reflect on when times were far more complicated. During the winter of the 1960's, nothing was simple. Protests began to spread all over and they did it all via word of mouth. There was no such thing as pop culture. The message got across to the people that needed to know but in this day and age, it's a lot less complicated. We have so many media outlets that it is highly impossible to not be heard. Pop culture has taken over the world and it is a new phenomenon. Pop culture is good because it gives people who may not be listened to a voice. It is especially good for people who are afraid to voice their opinions in person. A lot of people found their voice through pop culture. Not only has everything evolved drastically but it helps in so many ways. Lately, as I scroll through Facebook, I see so many posts about missing people from many walks of life just being shared. That is a great way to go about a missing person. The word is spreading like wildfire and eventually, the families of the missing people will have some sort of answers. Every situation is posted on social media, whether it be politics, sports, or just worldly news. Me being a person who does not watch the news, I find out everything via social media. People waste no time posting about things that are happening in the world and I find that to be invigorating. There was a time when social wasn't as big but there were tabloids. Tabloids were a hit and they took the world by storm. Everybody would watch shows like TMZ at one point. Many people found comfort in shows like that. These days tabloids are not as popular because of social media but they do still exist. I have not watched one debate so far but I can tell you how it played out and that's all thanks to social media. I was literally getting highlights throughout each debate. Although people were joking about what transpired during the debates there were a select few that took it seriously and they kept everyone informed and even shared their thoughts on what was taking place. I would say that even though pop culture is a great thing it also has it downsides. Most people on social media don't take anything seriously and it can be a tad bit annoying. I do enjoy the memes and things of that sort but certain situations should not be a joke and most people don't get that. I just want to touch basis on the miracles that pop culture has stowed upon some people. One example would be a GoFundMe, some people request money from strangers due to the hardships they may be facing. They use their social media platforms to send out their GoFundMe accounts and they make thousands of dollars from caring strangers. Before GoFundMe accounts people would panhandle on the streets. I'm not saying that panhandling is obsolete but there are easier ways to make money and still have dignity. Now that we have social media there is no turning back. Things are going to continue to get simpler as the times go on. Social media also allows people to connect from all over the world. People are finding love, making friends, and networking through social media. Social media is so popular that even Donald Trump uses it. He has an X account that he loves to use. In closing, pop culture has done a lot and I hope to see what the future has to offer. 
 

Comments

  1. I like how your blog highlights the importance of social media in spreading awareness about missing persons, because it focuses on how information is quickly spread. showing the positive side of pop culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asia, You have a strong and clear point of view. You use social media to get your news (and I like your analogy to the tabloids), but how and what do you or anyone do to assess what is true and what may be misinformation on social media as news?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog