When thinking about higher education there is a lot of factors that go into it. Price being one of the main factors to determine whether you attend or not. The price to further ones education is only becoming steeper by the year. Most students can't afford college so they opt out. Yes there are options that help pay for schooling but at what cost? You end up having to pay those loans back at the end of your tenure. The repayment plans don't really help out because sometimes the payment is so low that you will be paying loans off until you die. The next aspect would be finding a job in your line of work. Now most college students don't even use their degree and that is very disheartening. Imagine spending four plus years in school to only work at places like Walmart or Costco. Most employers don't want an employee that is fresh out of college, they want seasoned vets. It is said that college graduates earn more, live longer healthier lives, and have better personal growth. Now while all this is very intriguing and tantalizing is it really worth it? You have people like me that are only attending school to better their situations in life altogether. I know for a fact that I will have a career when I finish school because I'm going to work through an internship so that way I will have the experience already. Not to mention there is always a need for a mental health worker so I know there are countless amount of careers out there for me. Others may not have it so easy though. Depending on your degree there may be a high demand or a low demand for your line of work. My cousin went to school in Missouri for four years and ended up finding a career in cyber security. might I add his career choice had nothing to do with his degree. He went to separate schooling to get where he is today. After he graduated he struggled immensely in his line of work. He realized his field didn't make much money and he has a family to provide for. For me higher education is worth the price but my situation is different from others. I'm in school to better my son and myself lives. I know I have to do this so we can be better off and I'm not letting the cost deter me. Some people just can't see it that way. As far as the work that you do while in school, a lot of it doesn't challenge the mind of students. Once you are in school it's just like being in high school but with a higher work load. College does not prepare you for outside life or the world. Once you get out you have to learn to deal with the real world and I must say it is very scary. Most people that attend college end up switching their majors along the way because they changed their mind about what they want to do once they get out. Most people are unsure of their lives especially fresh out of high school. You have almost nothing figured out and if by chance you do it is a small percentage. I first went to William Paterson and studied business administration, it wasn't until I got to NJCU that I decided I want to take up psychology. I know for a fact that I will thrive but as I said most people are not as lucky as I am. Who wants to spend another countless amount of years in school for nothing? You never know what your life will be like once you get out of school but to me it is worth a shot.   

 

Comments

  1. Asia,
    Thank you for your honest and thoughtful commentary on the question about whether higher education is worth the cost. I applaud you for figuring out the career field you wish to pursue and your strategy about using internships during your college to support your career journey. You make a very good point about how many young people do not actually know the field best for them to pursue when they first enter college. Thanks for sharing this blog, with your personal examples ... and best wishes with your goals!
    Professor Knauer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog