In 2019 I became pregnant with my first child. I was already grown so being pregnant was not the issue. The issue was who I was pregnant by. It was my brother's childhood friend and he does not have the best reputation. I knew breaking this news to my mother would break her heart but I could not refute the facts of what I had done. Everyone wanted me to leave him alone, to begin with. I saw the good in him that no one else did and that is why I chose to continue to deal with him. It took me a while to tell my mother because I just knew I wasn't going to hear the end of it. An abortion was out of the question. I never really saw myself having children but since we were here I decided to just go with it. I knew I was going to make a great mom so I didn't really have any doubts. It was not just about me though, the real test was if my son's father was going to be a great dad or not. Time was ticking and I knew I needed prenatal care. I did not want to do that alone so I had to tell my mom. She was very disappointed in me and I could feel all her emotions just rushing in on me like a wave of despair.

I began questioning my decision because she would not stop lecturing me but I had to see it through. My son's father already had children from previous relationships and he did not seem like a bad dad to his other children so I may as well go for it. That is exactly what I did. My mother still to this day lectures me about having a child by the wrong person and I am forced to just listen. I see it as, why keep going over the past we just have to keep moving forward. What is done is done, Que sera sera. I have to live with the fact that I broke my mom's heart but she loves my son and I feel like that is the greatest reward I could ever ask for. Things could be better with my son and his dad (my mother was not completely wrong) but he does make an effort and that is all I can ask for. Not only did I break my mothers heart once but I broke it again when my son's father and I just recently got back together. My mother does not say it but I know she is very disappointed because of his reputation. The first impression of him when we began dating before I got pregnant was not the best so my mother still holds on to that. It hurt me that I hurt my mother but I am an adult that has to learn life the way I see fit. I have to do what makes me happy because nobody has to live my life but me. I could understand where Wes Moore was coming from, not wanting to tell his mother that he had impregnated Alicia because I too was in the same boat. I do feel it is different with daughters because mothers want so much more for their daughters. Mothers do not want their daughters to go down the same path they did and I wholeheartedly understand that. As an adult, I make my own decisions and just hope that my mother is on board.
Asia,
ReplyDeleteYour blog is honest and engaging. You draw a strong connection between the other Wes Moore's experience having to share news that broke his mother's heart, and your own very similar circumstances. I think you are right that 'it is different with daughters because mothers want so much more for their daughters.' It's interesting that you were drawn back to a renewed relationship with your son's father. As long as he is not harmful (physically, emotionally, mentally) for you or your son, perhaps as you say "I have to do what makes me happy." It sounds like your son brings much joy to you and your family's lives.