The Other Wes Moore Page 44
While basketball was a way out for Wes Moore and his friends others have different coping mechanisms. For me I use music, literature, and poetry to cope. Music is my way out when there is no way. What I love about music and literature is that no matter how you're feeling there is always a song and a book that describes your mood. You can relate to so many genres of music. When you actually listen to the words the song becomes a part of you. Music is electrifying and so are books. I like to read content with substance because I am all for learning new things. Something about music and books just calms my nerves and I find solace in that. I could see how basketball is an escape, something about it must be invigorating. To step on the court and just let go, that is how I feel about music and literature. It is a way to escape real life. When we go through things sometimes all we need is an escape. I love rap but R&B is my go to, especially when I'm going through trials and tribulations. It is nothing like a good song to send me where I need to go. I have been writing poems since 2019 when I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I have written some of my best work through my struggles. I found that putting the pen to the paper and just letting my thoughts go has helped me through so much in life. Creative expression has always been my niche. I find that it is my time to unwind and relax my mind. I haven't written anything in a while but I do still use music and books to cope. Books are a great way to get away from your mind. Fine literature is a gateway to knowledge and that is why I love it so much. I love to learn about new things. I really like self-help books because they also give you ways to cope and positive affirmations. I also love books about thriller and suspense. I have always been a horror buff so that also speaks to me. It is said that people with mental illness are more creative and I have found that to be true. Since my diagnosis I have tapped into my creative side ten fold. I am now capable of so much more creativity wise. I have made my own clothing line, I can rap, and I am a very good poet. Some of the best artist have mental health issues. Most people use drugs and other nonfulfilling things to cope but for me these things are my drug. Because I have mental health I feel everything so deeply so the same applies when I use my coping mechanisms. I dive deep in and I do not come out until I am one hundred percent better.

Hello Asia! I really enjoyed reading your post, music is definitely one of my ways to cope also, there are so many different genres and different types we can often relate to, depending on the type of mood we are feeling. I definitely relate.
ReplyDeleteHi NanaAfua, thank you I appreciate your feedback.
DeleteAsia,
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you have music and reading as 'go to's' when you need to de-stress and get new perspective. I'm also thinking that it may have been fortunate that you learned about your mental health needs before the pandemic began, and so many of us struggled with mental health without necessarily having informed interventions. Your comparison of your strategies to cope with stress or challenge to the Wes Moores strategy --basketball-- is insightful.