The Other Wes Moore
Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations? When asked this question, it gives you something to think about. I think we are products of both. Some people are products of their environment, and some are products of their expectations. My siblings and I are on two different paths. My oldest brother is a product of his environment. He is more street-savvy and well-aware of life outside of the home. I am more so a product of my expectations. I expect to live a full life with my son, so I am in school. I want something better for myself than what the hood offers. As for Wes Moore, I believe he is a product of his expectations. He was going away on a scholarship before the whole incident. The other Wes Moore is a product of his environment. He literally took the uncharted road. As Wes Moore said it starts at home but it does not end there. We grew up in a very loving home and we lacked nothing but my brother chose to live the life he lives. My youngest brother is just getting himself together but he is also a product of expectations. He has a job and is trying to become a man. Wes Moore thinks we are products of our expectations. I felt his point was very interesting because everyone's expectations look different. He stated that "we live up to what other people put on us." That statement absolutely floored me. In most cases that is absolutely true and whether it be good or bad expectations you live up to something. My brother feels there is no more for him than that of the street life and I feel there is way more for me out there and I intend to go after it. It is only so far you can go living in the streets. Either to an early grave or jail time. If you are lucky enough to not get caught then hey you've made it. A person rarely makes it out of the hood so why even take that chance. There are so many positive outlets to take you away from your original environment I just don't see why a life of crime would be one. I learn a lot from my older brother and it is mostly the things I shouldn't do or routes I should not take. Growing up my brother started getting into trouble at a very young age. I remember his first arrest. He was in Country Village and his friends stole this white boy's skateboard. Everybody ran off but my brother was not as lucky to get away and he got arrested. Ever since then, he has been in and out of jail. I don't know what about jail life is appealing to him but I do know he regrets it every time. Somehow he always ends up back in jail so he must feel some type of comfort in it. We are our own choices and for some that looks like being a product of your environment and others it looks like being a product of your expectations.

Hello Asia. I like how you mentioned that some people are products of expectations and some are products of the environment. I agree that Wes Moore thinks we are products of expectations. - Lindsay Enrique
ReplyDeleteAsia, I like how this reflection highlights how strongly the environment and individual expectations interact. The different paths of brothers living in the same house demonstrate how decisions influence lives even in situations where people live together. Particularly interesting is Wes Moore's view that we live up to what other people expect of us. In the end, the article highlights how crucial it is to strive higher, no matter where we begin.
DeleteThank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
DeleteAsia, You've written a powerful blog, showing the connections between your own life and family member's choices and how they connect to the two Wes Moore's and our reading. You successfully engage the reader in reflecting on questions about 'why' different people in similar environments and even common family make such different choices, and what their motivations may be. It's a complex issue, and your blog takes us right into the heart of that complexity. Thank you!
ReplyDelete